WHY WE WILL NEVER HAVE TO STUDY AGAIN!

The future of learning lies in experiencing. Why this is so, and why the fastest translator of focused, experiential learning will lead a revolution is summarized here. Everything starts with the transfer problem.

85% DO NOT APPLY LEARNING CONTENT: THE TRANSFER PROBLEM

In most cases, new things cannot be learned sustainably. Shortly after a lesson, we forget too much about the just heard or read skillset and mindset – and both are fully necessary to master a new skill. Scientist, and internationally recognized expert on evaluation and learning effectiveness, Robert Brinkerhoff pointed out in 2016: Only 15% of all learners can apply newly acquired skills, 70% try to apply them but fall back into old patterns, and the other 15% cannot apply newly learned skills at all. That this can lead to a course having problems in a variety of situations is plausible.

innerspace-statistic-percentage-skills-apply

APPLYING 100% OF LEARNING CONTENT: HOW DO WE DO IT?

In our view, the goal of modern training must be that 85% can apply newly learned skills and the remaining 15% can do so after repetition. In the end, nearly 100% of the skillset and mindset should have been learned and internalized in order to be used confidently. Today, we are at a point where we can say with confidence that this goal is within reach. Why? We have had part of the answer since the 1940s – when researcher Edgar Dale, with his Cone of Experience, clarified how we generally learn best. How much do we remember after reading a text? Dale’s research shows it’s not even 10%. When we hear something, it’s 20%; when seeing and hearing together, around 50%; when we say something ourselves, we remember about 70% of it. If we want to remember around 90 – 100%, according to Dale, only one thing works: “Doing the real thing.” But today, we know that in order to really purposefully learn, we have to do “the real thing” in a very focused way. It takes more: a completely safe training environment, no distraction, absolute focus – and many more features. This new way of learning and training is called DeepTraining.

DEEPTRAINING MEANS FOCUSED, PURPOSEFUL EXPERIENCES

To fulfill Edgar Dale’s promise, the following is necessary: a focused experience-based training in skillset (what to do in the key moment) and mindset (principles to consider at the key moment). How can we do that?

First, let’s talk about the experience-based part: paying attention to two phenomena, called simulated experience and presence. Virtual reality technology (VRT) today makes it possible to produce simulations that are sufficiently realistic. In the learning context, sufficiently means: The brain can no longer distinguish between simulated experiences and real experiences. This is possible when clever use is made of VRT, psychology and staging techniques to simulate truly credible scenarios. Presence is the feeling of being there, in this case in the reality of simulation: a feeling that is hard to understand for someone who has not experienced virtual reality in a truly high-quality application.
Experience-based learning: we make experiences in simulated space, the brain saves them as real experiences, and thus, even without actual activity in the real world, employees become truly experienced. Let’s take the previous example – that of pharmaceutical production. Here, many details in the training design play important roles – from the right amount of tension to the accurate implementation of a meaningful learning environment. These and many other details lead to the aforementioned focus of such training – in simulation, we can decide what is experienced, and the trainee only experiences what is really necessary to learn a skill; without any distraction.

innerspace-phenomenon-of-simulated-experience
WE WILL BE ABLE TO LEARN NEARLY EVERYTHING THROUGH EXPERIENCE

By experiencing learning content, we will be able to learn much more efficiently in the future. We will face many more key moments in our world of work and life confidently – knowing we already have experience. The simulated experience of DeepTraining is better suited than any other form of learning to acquiring the skillset and mindset needed for many areas. That’s why we’ll all have to study and cram much less in the future.

If you want to know more about Innerspace’s DeepTraining approach, feel free to speak with us.